Wedding favors serve as a heartfelt gesture from the couple to their guests and are often placed at each guest’s seat as a surprise during the reception. The question of whether or not to give wedding favors is one that can divide even the closest of friends and family members. Some see it as a traditional obligation, while others view it as an unnecessary expense.
As we move into 2023, it’s important to think about how favors can play an important role in your wedding celebration and determine whether they fit with your values and vision. In this favor etiquettes article, we have explained everything you need to know about this beautiful tradition but most importantly are wedding favors really necessary and do they help couples?
What are Wedding Favors?
Wedding favors are usually small gifts or keepsakes given to guests as a token of appreciation for attending the wedding. They are often personalized with the names of the bride and groom and the wedding date, and are meant to serve as a reminder of the special day.
Overall, wedding favors are a fun and meaningful way for the couple to say thank you to their loved ones for being a part of their big day.
Type of Wedding Favors
Wedding favors can range from edible treats like chocolates or candies, to personal or home items like key chains or coasters. We have curated a list of the best summer wedding favors to help you discover some great ideas. They can also reflect the theme or style of the wedding, such as seashells for a beach wedding or succulent plants for a botanical-themed celebration.
History of Wedding Favors
Wedding favors can be traced back to the early 16th century in Europe, when guests were given sugar-coated almonds or other dry fruits as a symbol of good luck and happiness. Confetti was sugar-coated almonds distributed in a tiny bag or box and was thought to bring good fortune to the marriage and their wedding guests. Wedding favors developed over time, with couples delivering a broader range of gifts to their guests to convey their gratitude. Wedding favors became more complex in the nineteenth century, with newlyweds presenting guests with intricate and costly trinkets and keepsakes.
Did you know that?
Wedding favors during the Victorian era frequently reflected the couple’s social rank and riches, and were frequently fashioned of silver or gold.
Today wedding favors have become a staple of modern weddings, with couples offering a wide range of gifts to their guests, from edible treats like chocolates or candies to practical items like key chains or coasters. The tradition of giving wedding favors continues to evolve and change over time but the basic idea of expressing gratitude to guests remains the same.
See also: 21 Best & Affordable Bachelorette Party Favors Ideas
Are Wedding Favors Really Necessary?
Short answer: Favors are not really needed or necessary at a wedding.
Whether or not you choose to include wedding favors is a personal decision that depends on your budget, style, and priorities. If you are going for an elegant wedding theme, you may choose to splurge on high-end favors, while if you have a smaller budget, you may opt for more affordable favors or forgo favors altogether.
Whether you give favors or not to your guests, think about what is most important to you and your partner on your wedding day and prioritize the elements that will make your day memorable and special for you and your guests.
Why Wedding Favors are so Important?
Not only do wedding favors demonstrate your appreciation to your guests for coming and sharing in your special day, but they also provide a wonderful touch to the reception’s elegance. You want your guests to remember your event fondly and take home something unique to brag about to their friends and family.
Wedding favors are a way for the couple to express their gratitude to their guests for being a part of their special day. They serve as a physical token of appreciation and a reminder of the happy memories made at the wedding.
Wedding favors can also serve as decorative elements for the wedding, adding to the overall aesthetic and ambiance of the event.
Wedding favors can be personalized to reflect the couple’s style and personality, adding a unique and personal touch to the wedding celebration.
Wedding favors serve as keepsakes for guests, allowing them to take a piece of the wedding home with them. They provide a lasting reminder of the couple’s special day and the memories made with friends and family.
Overall, wedding favors are an important part of the wedding ceremony as they show appreciation to guests, add a personal touch, create lasting memories, and serve as decorative elements.
Are you confused by wedding lingo?
Try our wedding words and phrases dictionary!
Examples of Traditional Wedding Favors
Wedding favors are the best way to thank your wedding guests for being a part of your special day, and there are many things to choose from to suit the wedding theme without breaking your budget. You can also think about your wedding theme and colors. For, example if you’re having a fall wedding, you might want to skip plants or if your wedding is in winter then you might want use edibles. Here are some of the best examples of traditional wedding favors:
Who doesn’t love treats! Candies, chocolates, macarons, and other sweet treats are popular wedding favors that guests can enjoy. You can choose treats that match your wedding theme or color scheme, or opt for something that represents your favorite flavors or interests.
- 【Use】:One box can be used for many use,as shown in the picture,it not noly fit signle regular size macarons,but also fit pack cookies,candy,chocolate,desserts,nut,donuts,scented tea,cherry, gift, or different kinds snack.
- ❤Material: these wedding party favor boxes are made of exquisite paperboard, sturdy and harmless
- 13OZ. Bags with Approximately 100 Mints Individually Wrapped in a “Thank You for Sharing our Special Day” Printed Wrapper
- ◆20 pack glass honey jars with golden lids, wooden dippers, bee charms jutes and thank you cards.
- CELEBRATE COLORFUL CHOCOLATE FUN! Thinking of Valentines candy, unique engagement decorations, bridal decor or wedding favors? There’s nothing more special than Light Purple M&M’S Milk Chocolate candy bulk
- FREE Personalization! Just add your text to create the perfect favor
Key chains, coasters, water bottles and other practical home items make great wedding favors that guests will appreciate and use. These types of favors are especially useful for destination weddings, where guests may be traveling and in need of these items.
- Quality: Our corn on the cob holders is made of stainless steel and ABS that is not easy to rust and is easy to clean. The food will be 100% safe with using the corn cobb holders and tasteless, recyclable, and can serve you for a long time.
- Elegant and Festive Boho Kit: you will receive 8 pieces of macrame keychains, 8 pieces of organza bags and 8 pieces of thank gift tags printing the word of thanks, which are nice combinations for you to use and party needs; And they are ideal party favors for your guests and friends
- Abundant Quantity and Rich Styles: you will receive 100 pieces of wooden Christian bible bulk keychains in 10 assorted styles, 10 pieces per style, sufficing your daily use and replacement demands, also desirable to share with friends and family
With print-on-demand tech, personalized wedding favors, such as monogrammed handkerchiefs, photo frames, or custom-printed matchbooks, can be the best way to make your guests feel special and appreciated.
- ALL-IN-ONE SPICE JARS SET – 24 glass spice jars with shaker lids and bamboo caps, 374 white square spice labels (minimalist farmhouse style), 386 black round labels, 1 collapsible funnel and 1 white pen; All essential accessories included
- 12 PACK BACHELORETTE PARTY CAN COOLER – Dress up your drink with these double-sided can coolers and enjoy the ice-cold drink with your best friends. These super cool 70s theme can coolers make a special addition to your bachelorette and would make your party a memorable experience.
- Value pack of 32 pieces reusable gift bags assorted with 8 colors – fuchsia, yellow, royal blue, orange, black, sky blue, green and red.
Candles and bath products
Candles, bath salts, and other spa products make great wedding favors that guests can use to pamper themselves after your wedding.
Mini alcohol bottles
If your wedding guests love alcohol then mini alcohol bottles, such as wine, beer, or liquor, are a popular option and can be customized to match your wedding theme or color scheme.
- These small glass jars with corks are great for DIY for perfume bottles. Mini bottles are also suitable for interchangeable pendant art pieces, message in a bottle charms, keepsake charms, and much more
- DECORATION OR PARTY FAVOR – These champagne bottle favor containers are sure to impress your guest and make a wonderful take home gift at weddings, bridal showers, or baby showers, ault parties, milestone birthdays New Years Eve parties or celebrations of all kinds. Fill with anything from candies to small trinkets for your guests to enjoy!
Plants and seeds
If you’re wedding theme is garden then plants and seeds are a unique and eco-friendly option that guests can take home and use to beautify their own space.
- LIVE SUCCULENT PLANTS: Bring home a beautiful collection of mini succulents for a desert feel. Succulents are easy care houseplants, ready to liven up any space. Live succulents add a vibrant look to any living room, office, and bedroom decor aesthetic
These are some of the best examples of traditional wedding favors. You can choose a favor that fits your wedding style and budget but remember what your guests might like.
How Much to Spend on Wedding Favors?
If you are planning for a small wedding, you might decide to drop on expensive favors like customized presents, gourmet foods, or upscale spa products. Alternatively, you can decide to go with something easy available and most common such as sweets, succulent plants, or tiny candles.
The amount you should spend on wedding favors depends on your overall wedding budget and personal preferences. Couples spend, on average, $2 to $4 per favor. However, the price may differ significantly according on the kind of favor you select, the number of guests, and the favor’s quality.
Choosing a favor that is within your wedding planning budget and one you, as well as your guests, will love is ultimately what matters the most. Favors are a wonderful way to express your gratitude to your guests, but they are not really necessary for a very mico intimate wedding.
How to Display Wedding Favors?
Displaying favors mostly depends on the type of favor, wedding theme, and wedding season. Some favors need open space, while others can easily be put into a basket. You want to display favors in a place where guests would love to pick them up! Here are some of the most creative ways to display wedding favors for your guests. Here are some popular options:
On a table
Set up a designated table for your favors and place them in decorative boxes or bags. You can add a sign or a tag that explains what the favors are and how they can be taken home.
In a basket
Place your favors in a decorative basket or tray and place it on a table or at the exit of the venue. This is a great option for smaller, lighter favors.
On escort cards
Display your favors on a table near your escort cards and let guests take them as they find their seat.
As a centerpiece
Incorporate your favors into your table centerpieces. For example, place a small plant or succulent in a pot at each table and let guests take them home.
At the exit
Set up a display near the exit and let guests take their favors as they leave the reception.
At each place setting
Place a favor at each guest’s place setting, either on the plate or at the side of the table.
Regardless of the display method you choose, make sure it complements the overall style and décor of your wedding. You can also add a special touch by wrapping each favor in tissue paper or adding a ribbon or tag.
What to Write on Wedding Favors Tag?
End notes or thank you message tags for wedding favors can be a great way to show your gratitude to your guests for being a part of your special day. Here are some tips for writing end notes for your wedding favors:
Keep it short and sweet
Wedding favors are usually small gifts, so keep your end notes short and to the point. A simple thank you for being a part of our special day is enough.
Add a special touch
Consider adding a cute or funny illustration, a picture of you and your partner, or a special quote that reflects your relationship.
Add a personal touch by addressing each guest by name or by including a message that reflects your relationship with them.
Regardless of what you choose to include in your end notes, make sure to express your gratitude and love to your wedding guests for being a part of your special day. You can print your favor tags on a small piece of paper and include them with each favor, or you can write them by hand for a more personal touch.
Remember, the wedding favors tags are a small but meaningful gesture that will help your guests remember your special day long after it’s over.
What are best examples of favors?
Edible treats, home products, personalized gifts, plants and seeds are some of the examples of best wedding favors. Choose a favor that fits your wedding style and budget, and that will be appreciated and remembered by your guests.
What to put in a wedding favor box?
You can mix and match items to make a wedding favor box that is unique, personal, and fits your style and budget. It’s also important to think about the boxes style, as this can add to how they look and make an impression.
How much do favors for a wedding cost?
The average cost of a wedding favor is between $1 and $10, but some high-end items can cost more. The number of guests and the number of favors you plan to give will also affect the total cost.
So now you know everything about wedding favors including history, traditional favor types and most importantly: are wedding favors really necessary? We think favors are the best way to express your love to guests and obviously they enhance your wedding style whether you use them as a centerpiece, in a basket, at each place setting, or on a table. So, weigh your options, consider your budget and most importantly, think about what makes everyone happy on your big day. Regardless of whether you opt for favors or not, the love, joy, and memories you create on your big day will last a lifetime. We hope you enjoyed our article on wedding favor etiquettes! See you next time, ciao!