During the 1940s, a new musical style emerged: “Rhythm and Blues”. Who could have predicted that decades later, this specific kind of music would become universally loved? Currently, R&B love songs are a must-have for any wedding reception. Have no worry if you and your future husband share a similar vision for your wedding celebrations but have no idea as to where to begin your search for romantic R&B wedding songs. There is music here for every taste, from classic hits to modern favorites to black wedding songs. Let’s dive in and get started!
Top R&B Love Songs
Whether or not the bride and groom identify as African-American, nearly all of them request at least one R&B love song on the big day. These ballads feature heartfelt lyrics that will stay with you for a while. Whether you’re using them for your wedding vows, first dance, or a romantic serenade, you’ll find their significance to be profound. Smooth crooning of Marvin Gaye and the powerhouse vocals of Whitney Houston are just two examples of how R&B love songs can bring you life. They are a great source of inspiration due to their mellow, relaxed pace.
- “Let’s stay together” by Al Green
- “Ain’t That Love” by Ray Charles
- “That’s How Strong My Love Is” by Otis Redding
- “All Of Me” by John Legend
- “Halo” by Beyoncé
- “Caught Up in the Rapture” by Anita Baker
- “If I ain’t got you” by Alicia keys
- “Ribbon in the Sky” by Stevie Wonder
- “Sexy love” by Ne-yo
- “Lovely Day” by Bill Withers
- “The way you make me feel” by Michael Jackson
- “We belong together” by Mariah Carey
- “Ain’t no mountain high enough” by Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell
- “Always” by Atlantic Starr
Getting Ready R&B Wedding Songs
Listening to these cheerful songs while you and your fellow guests get ready for the big day ahead will help set the mood for a joyous celebration of love and happiness. The groovy beats and upbeat lyrics of ’90s R&B wedding music will get you in the celebratory spirit. This wedding playlist is great for getting the bridal party to relax and have fun before the big day by having everyone sing along and dance around in their matching robes.
- “Sittin’ Up in My Room” by Brandy
- “You Make Me Wanna” by Usher
- “You Gotta Be” by Des’ree
- “How Will I Know” by Whitney Houston
- “Love on Top” by Beyonce
- “Run the World (Girls)” by Beyonce
- “Say My Name” by Destiny’s Child
- “1, 2 Step” by Ciara feat. Missy Elliott
R&B Wedding Ceremony Songs
Soulful R&B music can add a new level of elegance to your wedding ceremony. These love songs, ranging from soft and romantic to fast and groovy, can help you show your love and get everyone in the mood for your big day. Whether you’re walking down the aisle or exchanging vows, R&B wedding ceremony songs offer a range of options to suit any taste.
- “Share My Life” by Kem
- “Angel of mine” by Monica
- “Baby I’m yours” by Barbara Lewis
- “Because of you” by Ne-Yo
- “Count on me” by Whitney Houston
- “Ain’t Nobody” by Chaka Khan
- “This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)” by Natalie Cole
- “September” by Earth Wind & Fire
- “Crazy love” by Brian McKnight
- “So Amazing” by Luther Vandross
- “Endless love” by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross
- “You’re My First, My Last, My Everything” by Barry White
- “Why I Love You” by MAJOR
- “My boo” by Usher ft Alicia keys
- “Purple Rain” by Prince
First Dance R&B Wedding Songs
One of the most memorable and special moments in a wedding is the first dance between the bride and groom in front of their guests. Your true love and the nature of your relationship should be reflected in the music you choose. The father-daughter dance, the mother-son dance, and the couple dance are all examples. You might like something calm right now, or perhaps something more upbeat for the dance floor. Below are list of top R&B wedding songs for your first dance.
- “Overjoyed” by Stevie Wonder
- “Spend My Life With You” by Eric Benet
- “I Believe in You and Me” by Whitney Houston
- “By Your Side” by Sade
- “All Of Me” by John Legend
- “Just because” by Anita Baker
- “I’m on your side” by Angela Bofill
- “Falling” by Alicia keys
- “All My Life” by K-Ci & JoJo
- “Angel” by Aretha Franklin
- “My Girl” by The Temptationd
- “Everytime I Close My Eyes” by Babyface feat. Mariah Carey
- “Back At One” by Brian McKnight
- “Make Me Whole” by Amel Larrieux
- “Endless Love” by Lionel Richie and Diana Ross
- “I’m Glad You’re Mine” by Al Green
- “Stand By Me” by Ben E. King
- “Daddy” by Beyonce
R&B Reception Entrance Wedding Songs
The right music played as the bride and the bridal party enter the reception venue can have a dramatic effect on the mood for the rest of the celebration. They are on a roll now and nothing can stop them. They can create a cool dance entrance to a slow song or a fiery dance entrance to a fast song. After hearing these R&B entrance songs during your wedding, your guests will be in a happy mood.
- “Here And Now” by Luther Vandross
- “This Will Be (An Everlasting Love)” by Natalie Cole
- “Let’s Get Married” by Jagged Edge
- “Don’t Change” by Musiq Soulchild
- “Love Train” by The O’Jays
- “1+1” by Beyoncé
- “Jump (For My Love)” by The Pointer Sisters
- “I believe in you” by Four tops
- “All I Have” by Jennifer Lopez and LL Cool J
- “Giving myself” by Jennifer Hudson
R&B Wedding Songs For Reception Dance
Even though you’ll never forget your first dance as husband and wife, the real fun will be had when your guests get on the dance floor. If you want everyone at your wedding to have a good time, throw in a few upbeat, unique R&B wedding songs. Your guests will be swaying to the beat and racing to the dance floor all night long with these energetic tunes. So let’s start the party!
- “All Night Long (All Night)” by Lionel Ritchie
- “Too Close” by Next
- “Real Love” by Mary J. Blige
- “Hold Me” by Whitney Houston & Teddy Pendergrass
- “Level Up” by Ciara
- “Poison” by Bell Biv DeVoe
- “Doo Wop (That Thing)” by Lauryn Hill
- “Baby I’m yours” by –Barbara Lewis
- “Three Minutes To Hey Girl” by George Kerr
- “Return of the Mack” by Mark Morrison
Country music is ideal for a wedding’s soundtrack if you’re looking for a more rustic-chic, romantic vibe. Allow our Country Wedding Songs to serve as the musical backdrop to your entire ceremony and reception.
R&B Wedding Exit Songs
Ready to exit as a married couple with a bang? From heartfelt ballads to upbeat jams, these R&B songs are the best way to end your special day on a high note. So why settle for a boring exit when these unique and new wedding exit songs can make a statement?
- “At Last” by Etta James
- “Ain’t No Mountain High Enough” by Diana Ross
- “End of the Road” by Boyz II Men
- “Just the Two of Us” by Bill Withers
- “Let’s Get it On” by Marvin Gaye
- “Single Ladies (Put a Ring on It)” by Beyonce
- “Ain’t No Stoppin’ Us Now” by McFadden & Whitehead
- “That’s the Way Love Goes” by Janet Jackson
How did R&B get started?
Rhythm and Blues (R&B) music first appeared in the 1940s as a fusion of African American gospel music, jazz and blues. It was marked by heartfelt singing and soothing melodies and it frequently addressed concerns of love, loss and society. Rock, pop and hip hop can all trace their roots to R&B’s evolution and influence. R&B is still an influential genre in the music industry today.
What are R&B wedding songs?
R&B wedding songs are a collection of romantic and soulful songs that are great for setting the mood at a wedding reception. They typically have appealing rhythms, soothing melodies and heartfelt lyrics that will make your special day even more memorable.
What are the best R&B songs for a black wedding?
Classics like “Endless Love” by Diana Ross and Lionel Richie, “Always and Forever” by Luther Vandross and “At Last” by Etta James are some of the best R&B tracks for a black wedding. The songs “Adorn” by Miguel, “So in Love” by Jill Scott and Anthony Hamilton and “Love on Top” by Beyoncé are some of the most popular ones right now.
What are some great R&B songs for bridesmaids to use as their processional songs?
Songs like “Adore” by Prince, “The Sweetest Taboo” by Sade, “Let’s Get Married” by Jagged Edge, “Love on Top” by Beyoncé and “As” by Stevie Wonder are perfect for bridesmaids to walk down the aisle to.
What are the best father daughter and mother son R&B wedding songs?
Some of the best father daughter R&B wedding songs include “Isn’t She Lovely” by Stevie Wonder, “Dance with My Father” by Luther Vandross, “My Girl” by The Temptations and “Butterfly Kisses” by Bob Carlisle. For mother son dance songs, “A Song for Mama” by Boyz II Men, “I’ll Always Love My Mama” by The Intruders, “What a Wonderful World” by Louis Armstrong and “Stand by Me” by Ben E. King are some great choices.
You now have a great list of R&B wedding songs to add to your wedding playlist, thanks to this list. The soulful melodies and romantic lyrics of these songs are sure to make your special day even more magical and memorable. Whether you’re a die-hard fan of R&B music or just looking for some new songs to add to your wedding playlist, these songs are sure to impress. However, we understand that finalizing your music planning can be a challenging task. We hope that our music has made it easier for you and given you some ideas for your wedding day. So put on your dancing shoes and get ready to make some memories that will stay with you forever!